Author Topic: Speeding and lowering the limit.  (Read 808 times)

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Speeding and lowering the limit.
« on: July 13, 2013, 04:29:50 PM »
So 2 drivers were clocked at 100 & 110mph along Victoria Ave. The call is now to lower the speed limits.
How can that stop speeding?
Do they really believe that this is the answer.
Do we pay good money for these people to come up with stupid ways to stop speeding.
Make the speed 60 mph and they will still go over the limit.
Make them pay huge fines for speeding and take away their license for a few months on first offence. Now that would go alongway to stop the speeding.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:30:42 PM by Chevalier Blanc »

Offline shortport

Re: Speeding and lowering the limit.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:13:40 PM »
Now if those smiley faces were speed cameras they would have been caught.
If you get caught speeding 3 times you lose your license for 5 years,that should nip it in the bud
I was amazed at the times some of these people were doing 100mph,not late at night as you might expect but after work.I think acceleration is the problem,there are so many Porsche,Ferarri owners here that after sitting in the office all day the only way they relieve some of the tension is to zoom off the traffic lights,they can probably hit 100mph without getting into third gear.
It won't be long before we get another Lotus incident happening,but of course that wasn't speeding was it.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:56:37 AM »
The police say, according to the JEP today, they would not normally drive in excess of 20MPH over the set speed limit so they are ruling themselves out of being "in the frame" and they don't have records of attending to any shouts during the times of the high speed recordings.

I take this with a good pinch of salt...!

Offline Grumpy Old Woman

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:33:04 AM »
 ??? I have serious doubts about the validity of the information they are collecting.

Whilst I can accept that a car out on the avenue at gone midnight might find enough clear road and opportunity to make it to 100+ mph, I really seriously doubt that the same could be found around 6.30pm.

Actually, has anyone seen a smiley face on the avenue?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:22:25 AM »
I think the smiley thing just gives the boy racers a record of their achievement.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »
Yes there is a smiley face on the avenue.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »
lowering the speed limint as you all say will not  stop speeding.
 the  smiley  face on  the    avenue is a  good  veiw of  what your  doing  at  the time .,  and  goads  those  who  feel  the need  for  speed ( i  was  like  this  a long  time  ago.)
   the usual media  hype ,  it  was  more  then likely  4 in  the morning  and  a clear  road ,  or  change  of  shift  time of  the boys in blue .
 try   driving  you  car  at a  constant  30 mph,   my wifes  verso is  awfull  and third  gear is all  thats needed .
 we   have a  fuel  consumption meter on  the verso ,  before  we  left   for 800 odd miles in  france , it  showed  9.3 litres  per 100 km.
  when  we  came  back it  showed 7.3 per 100km.
  so  we  will  all  be  driving  around  very fuel  wasting  and blocked up ,  catalitic  converters (  dont  get hot   enough).
 if    the island  becomes  such a  awful place  to live , many  may leave , imho.

Offline wakey

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:13:23 PM »
If the authorities are serious about people keeping to whatever is the lawful speed limit, they only have to install cameras as those set up in many French villages.  i speak from personal experience  that after you've been caught twice, you are very careful and pay a little more attention!
Incidentally, I don't know how many police cars there are in the Island, but rouge Bouillon is always jam packed with them, and I haven't seen one of the police bikes out and about for months.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:40 AM »
I think the speed limit on the avenue should be increased to whatever the level of traffic dictates.
If its ,"Chocka", no one is going to be able to do over 20mph on certain sections. If its clear, whats the problem with someone going ,"North", of 40mph?

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »
Does anyone know whether the sudden appearance of black cables strewn across many roads in St Helier is connected to Crowcroft's outrageous plan to impose a 20 mph speed limit on all roads within the ring road? They are obviously recording some sort of data about cars as they drive over these cables but what is it all in aid of? Yesterday I noticed them by the Mayfair Hotel and also around the corner in Providence Street, then again in Belmont Road and also in St Saviours Road. There may be an innocent reason but I somehow doubt it. I suspect the parish is planning its next attack on motorists. If not the 20 mph limit then maybe they're conceiving yet another crackpot pedestrianisation scheme on the quiet?

Crowcroft needs revenue quickly to cover the hundreds of thousands he's thrown away on that court case and there's an election in 12 months (not that anyone is ever brave enough to oppose him). New fines for speeding at more than 20 mph would provide a perfectly-timed cash bonanza that will carry on paying out for years - until he succeeds in banishing the very last car from St Helier and then the tap of plenty will have finally run dry...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:08:19 AM by Jerry Gosselin »