Author Topic: Watch what you post!  (Read 4122 times)

Jason the Maverick

Watch what you post!
« on: April 22, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
A UK stamp collector has complained of invasion of privacy after being investigated by a Jersey Post employee because he sent himself 39 postcards from the Island.

The cards were sent to his Somerset home by Nigel Keegan, who works in Jersey for two months every year, but were intercepted by Jersey Post.

Mr Keegan, who asked the JEP to investigate, was even more furious to find out that the employee had e-mailed his local councillor asking him to visit his house and 'check if there was anything unusual about it'.

The Jersey Post employee had also suggested that Mr Keegan could be involved in 'scams' or even possibly drug dealing.

A police investigation into the conduct of the Jersey Post employee has now been launched.

This actually sounds like slander to me.....

Offline Tory Boy

Re: Watch what you post!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 07:14:58 PM »
Deformation of character so a pretty dumb thing to do.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »
Blimey Jason, when I saw the title of this thread, I feared you wanted us to stop verbally abusing inept politicians! Phew, normal service resumed  ;D

It is curious that Jersey Post story. How many other such jobsworths are we employing across the public sector? Anyone with an ounce of common sense would realise the guy is a postcard collector - and valuable tourist - who probably just wanted to swell his collection of Jersey franked postcards, and hell, maybe go crazy and sell a few of them on ebay!

What have we got? Yet more bad publicity and a tourist who won't come back, and will tell all his friends his story.

I'm counting the hours before the Daily Mail seize on this as yet another bad news story for the island.

Chief Minister

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »
What the hell are the Post Office staff doing if they have time to play Sherlock Holmes?

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 10:14:52 PM »
Customs are short staffed, in the wrong job?

Offline Millennium Man

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »
Mr Keegan, who asked the JEP to investigate, was even more furious to find out that the employee had e-mailed his local councillor asking him to visit his house and 'check if there was anything unusual about it'.

That is appalling. 

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »
They were probably worried about drugs being placed under the stamps (single doses). There's been reports of this before. Couriers have been known to do dummy runs to see whether its feasible. In this case it was just a stamp collector who wanted a postmark! I think i would have laughed it off, although the worker should perhaps have brought his concerns to Customs' attention rather than the UK councillor.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
How many micro-dots on a stamp  ::)

Offline danrok

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
Why would someone be sending drugs from Jersey to UK?

Perhaps this postal worker wasn't aware that people collect stamps? ROFL

Offline Nick Palmer

• Environmentalist, thinker, hang glider pilot
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 12:35:33 AM »
I should imagine there was far more to this case than met the eye, or the media reporting of it...