Author Topic: Rumour is Murray Norton to Stand  (Read 7172 times)

Offline Fritz

Re: Rumour is Murray Norton to Stand
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 02:54:08 AM »
Is Peter Mac still alive? Haven,t heard a peep from him since he got his cushy job in The States.
This is the guy who got voted in for being Jersey,s answer to Kenny Everret.
Seems he has gone a bit,"Smashy and Nicey",with the established parasites and put himself into a very comfortable trance.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 04:41:05 PM »
Is Peter Mac still alive? Haven,t heard a peep from him since he got his cushy job in The States.

Well he would probably reply that he's very busy asking extremely serious and not in any way flippant, timewasting questions in the States. Here's one he's asking next Tuesday:

Deputy P.D. McLinton will ask the following question of the Minister for Transport and Technical Services –

“Following recent publicity regarding the alleged cruel treatment of a cat which had been run over and euthanized at the side of the road by the driver, would the Minister consider extending the law to require drivers to report accidents involving cats to the police, putting cats on a parity with dogs, and if not, why not?”

Well there you go- it seems he's playing a major part in the equality debate now (equality between cats and dogs, that is)  :-[

Deputy McLinton's question is very kindly sponsored by the following individuals:

Tigger, Bagpuss, Ginger, Kitty, Top Cat (AKA 'Boss Cat'), Benny, Blackie, Smudge, Sheba, Grumpy Cat, Tom, Miou Miou, Nefertiti, Piewacket, Sylvester, Fritz, Felix, Garfield, D.C., Snagglepuss, Meredith Swift and last but not least...

Olivia Benson:

http://cdn3-www.thefashionspot.com/assets/uploads/2014/10/SneakyCat_Olivia_Clean-sm_FINAL.jpg
  :P

On the other hand, a 'Bite to Kill' Fatwah has been placed on Deputy McLinton by the following individuals, none of whom wanted to supply their surnames (apart from Mr. Tin):

Scooby, Scrappy, Gromit, Lassie, Shep, Toto, Snoopy, Rin Tin Tin, Gnasher, Hachi, Marley, Muttley, Pluto, Uggie ....  .....  ......
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:11:12 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »
How dare you insult the Jersey Toad.   

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »
It's totally wrong that the BBC allowed an incumbent Jersey Assistant Minister to leach off the good image of Children in Need last Friday:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTtzFnRWsAAIu6m.jpg

It doesn't matter whether or not Deputy Murray Norton was paid for his participation and whether or not he actually appeared on air. The BBC in Jersey has provided a member of the Jersey government with the opportunity to officially associate himself with its flagship charity fundraiser. >:(

Now imagine what the public reaction would have been if the BBC had allowed a serving Tory Minister to play an official part in hosting one of Children in Need's mainland UK events last week. If it would have been deemed unacceptable there then it should be deemed just as unacceptable here. Both UK and Jersey administrations are responsible for political policies that have directly or indirectly exacerbated child poverty in recent years (e.g. the UK's Benefits Cap and Jersey's 5-year long freeze of the Single Parent Rate component of income support combined with the latest decision to reduce its current value by another 30% over the next 2 years, to name but two).

Not even a backbench States Member should be allowed to be officially associated with Children in Need, let alone one holding an executive position in a government that only last month got States approval to make £10 million of benefit cuts. It could therefore be implied from Norton's involvement that Children in Need does not oppose the Jersey Government's policies in respect of those on benefits and very low incomes. The management at BBC Jersey should not have placed Children in Need in this potentially embarrassing situation.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:04:12 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 03:16:13 AM »
Bt Jerry, this is the Jersey way ::)

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 07:37:54 PM »
A record of all Deputy Murray Norton's achievements as a States Member in 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9OruJOEfc

???

Offline man in the street

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 10:03:38 PM »
Others could be ,that boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sound you used to hear as channel tv shutdown for the night.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Norton placed on 'Norty' step after conflict of interest accusation
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 09:28:20 PM »
This report was published in the Jersey Evening Post on Tuesday 13th September 2016 but to date has still not appeared in the online edition:

Call for Deputy to repay charity his ccompère fee
By David Edbrooke

A Deputy appointed as a compère for a charity awards evening for two years in succession has been urged to repay the £525 he received for his services.

Assistant Economic Development Minister Deputy Murray Norton was contracted as a professional compère by Young Enterprises Jersey to work at its awards ceremonies in April this year and in 2015.

Ben Shenton, an ex-Senator who resigned from his honorary role on the charity's board last month, wants Deputy Norton to repay the money because of what he says is a 'conflict of interest'.

Mr Shenton says there is a conflict because the charity receives a States grant and has an economic development agenda.

However, Deputy Norton and the charity insist that the politician was fully entitled receive payment.

Mr Shenton said: 'Given that the charity's aims are connected with the economic development of young people, and that they rely on a States grant for funding, I feel that Deputy Norton should have appeared in his remunerated political capacity, rather than in his celebrity host capacity.

'I feel that he should have repaid the funds.'

Mr Shenton added: 'I resigned from the Young Enterprise Board in August - I think it is in the best interests of Young Enterprise going forward.'

Deputy Norton has insisted there was no conflict of interest because he had been working in a 'private, professional capacity'.

Deputy Norton said: 'I was contracted as a professional compère by Young Enterprise Jersey. The decision to engage my services as compère was made by the [charity's] Jersey Area Board.

'I was not at the event as a States Deputy. This clear distinction was understood by the entire board and the audience.

'There is always a very clear distinction made between my private work as Murray Norton - compère, and any political representation made as an elected member of the States.'

Deputy Norton, who declares his business interests in the Declaration of Interests on the States website, added: 'I was paid fees for working - my employment - which was recuced by 50 per cent of my standard corporate chargeout rate.

'Like many elected politicians, I have other - in my case minor - sources of incomes. My profession for 40 years has involved being master of ceremonies.'

He said he would continue to assist many local charities in giving his services for free where possible.

Nathalie Le Barz, the chairman of Young Enterprise Jersey, said that the charity did not have any links with the Economic Development Department, and said it would not ask Deputy Norton to repay the money.

She added: 'He was engaged to compère the annual Awards Evening in his capacity as a professional compère. The discounted fee was agreed prior to the event.'

This is just the latest example of the apparent conflict of interests between Norton's role as a Jersey government assistent minister supporting austerity measures against those on the lowest incomes and his hypocritical public appearances as a compère (or similar) at events such as BBC Children in Need and the Jersey Joint Charities Christmas Appeal. Even if he is not receiving any fee to appear at some of these events (and it is not always clear whether or not he has actually been paid for his services), no serving politician, whatever their political views, should be given the exclusive opportunity to be associated with the good name of the BBC's flagship telethon appeal.

In this particular case the circumstances are a bit different because the charity in question is not widely known outside of the corporate sector. You will notice from the JEP article that there seems to be a dispute over the charity's links with the States of Jersey. Shenton claims it receives a States grant and Le Barz says it has no links with Economic Development. Maybe they are both right and some of the funding for Young Enterprise is coming from the States, but not from Economic Development. On the Young Enterprise website, the States of Jersey is named as a sponsor and it says that Education, Sport and Culture "fully supports the Young Enterprise Company Programme".

However, does it make it any more acceptable for an Economic Development Assistant Minister to be paid a professional fee by a charity if the charity receives funds and political support from a different States Department? I say no in this case. It smacks of sleaze. What effort did the charity make to find an alternative compère? Are we seriously supposed to believe that Norton and Mac are the only people on the island capable of standing up for a couple of hours in front of a live audience of drunken corporate fatcats and announcing the names of winners whilst cracking the odd joke? Give me a break! This charity should never have agreed to pay Norton or anyone else to provide these services. There are plenty of people who would probably have given it a go for nothing and the charity could have saved itself £525.

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/AssemblyDeclarationsOfInterest/Norton%20MJ.pdf

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:31:28 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline HG

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 10:46:42 PM »
A-HEM!  >:(

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 02:08:41 AM »

I agree, any charity or organisation that receives states funding should not employ or have employment accepted by sitting states members.

It would be interesting to see if the article actually does get published oline by the JEP.

Another states member that is a little shy,  and for some reason thinks that the states Greffe replaces the so called " Declaration of interest " on line declaration is linked below. It was my understanding that Ass. Chief Ministers were supposed to lead by example.

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/AssemblyDeclarationsOfInterest/Ozouf%20P%20F%20C.pdf

BB

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 04:09:54 PM »
Just remember this is norton!    I think he may realise that he needs the money because i doubt he will get in next time. Good riddance!

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 03:05:47 PM »
Where can we see m.norton's achievements since being a deputy?

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 02:30:58 PM »
CB - if you stare into space on a starless night, you will find your answer!

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2016, 04:48:01 PM »
Where can we see m.norton's achievements since being a deputy?

He has written them all down for you in a letter that he's personally signed and sealed. Here it is:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-u3Hem0lN_mw/Tgl0oXv2O0I/AAAAAAAASGU/hAB24ECCyH4/s1600-h/asd2%25255B4%25255D.jpg

He would post it to you but he can't find any Jersey letter boxes that are still open after K. Keen's spell in charge at Jersey No Post (and also because the stamp is too big to fit on the envelope!).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:56:33 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Murray Norton mingles with celebs (again)
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 07:42:18 PM »
There was another exclusive awards bash in Jersey yesterday and - wait for it - a real celebrity from Tiger Bay was in attendance.

Needless to say, Jersey's 'Minister for Entertainment', Murray Norton was most prominent of all amidst a gaggle of business, government and Quango fat cats, as this tweet by Jersey Style Awards attests:

https://twitter.com/JerseyStyleAwds/status/878897079350947840

It is only 9 months since that JEP article highlighted an apparent conflict of interest between Norton's private compering roles and his position as a government Ass ;) Minister so it is interesting to know whether he was being paid for this latest celeb bash or not, although I reckon the organisers were probably just dishing out free invites to anyone connected to the Jersey government. One of them was Philip Ozouf, judging by this tweet, before jetting back to London:

https://twitter.com/philipozouf/status/878938596899684355

Norton was most recently seen on TV News earlier this week closely accompanying Senator Ian Gorst as the latter left the States Building after the vote of no confidence last Tuesday. Norton's protective body language towards Gorst on that occasion hints that the celeb-loving DJ wants to be more than just an Ass ;D Minister in the future and is perhaps starting to get fed up of being mocked as the Nina Nannar of Jersey politics. After all, one good turn of loyalty surely deserves another...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:56:04 PM by Jerry Gosselin »